Local historian and volunteer co-ordinator at the Old Pharmacy Museum, Scott Stedman shares stories of the region
“A very disappointing crowd turned up on Saturday afternoon for the official opening of the new Fire Station which cost £388/7/10 to build (actual cost). New equipment to the value of £130 has been added to the firefighting gear and insurances and sundry costs amounted to £70.
A fete was held in conjunction with the official opening. This was well supported by those present.
After the National Anthem, Cr T G Gaydon traced the history of the Brigade since its inception in 1941 and apologised for the unavoidable absence of Cr F E Eastaughffe, Mr W A Brand m H R and Mrs Brand and the Ginn Family.
He thanked all for their presence and those who had made donations towards the building of the station either in material or workmanship
Ginn Bros, donated all the timber required for the building – a very fine donation. Mr A Antcliff drew the plans; Messrs G Hebbard, Dowling Bros, R Everest, L Jackson, A Robinson and C Dowling all loaned their trucks to cart gravel, bricks, etc. J Lawrence, D Smith, O Broome attended to wiring of electrical installations.
Others who helped were H V Homann, builder (part time donated); H King painter, (all time donated); E Madle. Plumber (all time donated); A Santacaterina & Sons (Brick and plaster work); J Breusch (sanding floor, donated); S Bush fitting door (work donated), Proprietors Paragon Theatre, donations of forms and seats.
Mr J Broadhurst and the ladies of Brigade members supplied the workmen with morning teas.
This all adds up to perfect harmony which existed all through the erecting of the impressive building now standing at the Western end of Churchill Street next to Todd’s Service Station.
The official opening was performed by the foundation chairman (Mr E P Noakes) who also traced the Brigade’s history from the time he donated a “tin Lizzie” which was bogged at Buxton 13 years ago for use as a fire engine. The next unit, the present engine, was bought eventually at a cost of £425. Running expenses per year amounted to £70 and this covers petrol, insurances, etc.
All this is possible said Mr Noakes, because it was a volunteer fire fighting outfit. To employ a full time man would cost the citizens of the Isis at least £700 a year. He urged the people of the district to give every assistance to the Brigade who have plans for the purchase of a new fire engine when finances permit.
Mr Dawson, Superintendent, of the Maryborough Fire Brigade spoke in support of Mr Noakes.
Mr J C A Pizzey, M L A, said he was disappointed at the poor attendance for the brigade’s official opening of their newest asset and that the public should realise the value of the protection offered – voluntarily – by the Brigade members who chose to remain independent of all Fire Brigade Boards which were financed by extra rates imposed on the community.
It is interesting to note that the first members of the Brigade were C H Sigston (Superintendent from 1941-1946), E Madle (Foundation secretary), H Broadhurst, Laurie Thompson, Len Thompson, Leo Hartigan, John Thompson, Herb Swindle, Tony Milham and D Gee.
Leo Hartigan was Superintendent after C Sigston and at present Jock Henderson holds the position.
The body of the first fire engine, a Model T Ford, donated by Mr E P Noakes, was built by E Madle and the mechanical work was done by Laurie Thompson (all voluntarily). The present engine was purchased in Brisbane and brought to Childers by C Sigston, L Hartigan and Laurie Thompson”.